It can be a bit tough planning meals once you choose to eat smarter and healthier. Low carb meals are always a smart choice because you are eliminating part of problem that causes belly fat, carbohydrates. As we have said before, all carbohydrates are not bad. We do need some complex carbohydrates to stay healthy, but there are definitely better meal planning choices.
Check out this awesome recipe for a healthy low-carb side dish.
Low Carb Zucchini Fries
Recipe found at allrecipes.com
- 2 zucchini
- Salt to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C ground almonds
- 1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. Italian herb seasoning to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut zucchini into 3-inch lengths, then cut each piece into 9 fries. Place zucchini fries into a colander and sprinkle with salt. Let the zucchini pieces drain to remove excess liquid. (My tip is to cut the zucchini earlier in the day or the night before and refrigerate on paper towels to drain.)
- Beat eggs in a shallow bowl. Mix almonds, Parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning in a second shallow bowl. Rinse salt off zucchini and pat dry with paper towels.
- Dip each zucchini piece into beaten egg and roll in the almond coating. Place coated fries on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the zucchini are tender and the coating is crisp and browned, about 25 minutes, turning them halfway through cooking time.
These are an awesome alternative to fries. Have these tasty zucchini fries with a bun-less beef or turkey burger, horseradish dressing or mustard, slivered onions and 1 cup of green salad with a touch of ranch dressing and you’ve got a healthy low carb dinner. Remember, read labels and watch the added sugar and carbohydrates on your condiments. This is a tricky area those unwanted carbs sneak into our diet.
Another easy addition to this easy low carb dish is adding a ready cooked, deli herb roasted chicken. You can easily make several servings with carved slices of chicken and have leftovers for a chicken salad tomorrow. Bon appetit!